Sunday, January 19, 2014

ASL Buffalo Social Hour At Spot Coffee


It's been over 26 years since I've had a chance to socialized with other deaf people. When I went to college at N.T.I.D. many years ago, I was around deaf students every single day for nearly 8 years. Therefore my signing skills had gotten pretty good and I used to sign pretty fast. When I was in college, I became one of the leaders on the Workshops On Deafness: You can read about it here at: I Was A Leader At The Workshop ON Deafness. There I even taught some sign language to others.

But all this was happened a long time ago. Back then I felt like I was a part of the deaf community. I was involved in a lot of activities with them. Ever since I graduated from college in 1988, I was thrown back into the hearing world. It's been over 25 years since I've had a chance to socialize with other deaf people. Occasionally I'd get a chance to talk to some deaf individuals once in a great while. But it wasn't very often. Then a few months ago, I joined a page on facebook called ASL Buffalo. It's a page for hearing and deaf signers that are interested in joining public deaf events in Buffalo,N.Y.

Later on facebook I got invited to: ASL Buffalo Social Hour@ Spot Coffee. I had no idea what the event was about or the purpose of it. So I forgot about it for some time. Later on, I went back to the page to read more about it. How could I put it off? Seriously, I am deaf and I really did need to socialize with others that knew sign language. It's been missing in my life for 26 years. Since I was raising my daughter as a single parent for 17 years, I didn't have a lot of time on my hands. But now she is in college and I have more free time. So finally I got in my car last night and headed to the Spot Coffee place at 765 Elmwood Ave in Buffalo, and parked in my car. Feeling shy and not knowing a single person in there, I went inside.

After meeting some hearing and deaf signers in there, I had the best time ever. Of course my sign language was weak because I have not signed much in over 25 years. But they were very understanding and very patient with me. There will be another event on February 8th at 7pm at the same place. You can learn more about it here by clicking on the link: ASL Buffalo Social Hour. It doesn't matter if you are deaf or hearing as long as you want to communicate in sign language. Then it's all good.

Learn more about my night out at Spot Coffee on Bubblews: ASL Buffalo Social Hour

If you want to join this event, then make sure to check out the dates and time on ASL Buffalo on facebook.

Or you can contact me on facebook on Deaf Talks
and I'll guide you to the right place.

In the picture, I am the girl in the back standing between the two deaf guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments: