Sunday, January 20, 2013

Deaf Lady's Car Breaks Down

Don't you just hate it when you're in a hurry to go somewhere to discover your car won't start in the morning? It's not a pleasant feeling. Well my daughter was the last person to use it, and she told me it wouldn't start for her to get to work. So I went to check it out. The headlight switch was halfway on overnight. So there you have it, that must of drained out the battery completely, I had assumed. So, I called up AAA, and the first thing I did was to tell them I was deaf. And they were very nice about it and they ended up speaking too loud to where it hurt my ears and also I couldn't understand them when their voice got too loud. Funny, isn't it? So I kindly asked them to lower there voice and they did. AAA called me 5 minutes before they arrived, and they came pretty fast. So I think their service was very reliable. When the tow truck arrived, the first thing I did was walked up to the guy and told him I was deaf. He gave me a shocking look, but in a good way. Now, my message to the deaf and elderly, don't be afraid to tell anyone you are deaf. Don't worry how people will react or what they will think when you tell them that. I have gotten some strange looks from people in the past, and sometimes some very interesting looks, but don't let it get to you. Just be proud of yourself for your honesty and letting others know you cannot hear in order to give them a chance to speak louder for you, or to communicate with you in the way you need them to. Do it right away too. The AAA guy did a special battery testing test on my car battery. Well, he found out nothing was wrong with the car, it went dead because of that little switch being left on overnight. After telling the tow truck driver I was deaf, his reaction was very positive. He spoke louder, and more clearer and he faced me the whole time so I could lipread him. So I understood every single word he said to me. And I have to praise AAA for their wonderful service this morning, and I'm very grateful for that. :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a positive experience with AAA, that makes a big difference! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Just popped over from BBN. I'm really glad you got it all sorted out and it was just a relatively minor thing as opposed to a starter or alternator problem. A bad alternator is just the worst!
    I completely agree with you about telling people about being deaf. Because I can partially hear and lip read very well, the first thing I do is tell people I'm mostly deaf, otherwise it's a recipe for disaster. I have also worked in customer service and it helps me when a customer lets me know they are deaf or hard of hearing instead of just staring at me - it lets me know the best ways to communicate. There is absolutely - 110% - nothing wrong with telling people - I think it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, and from now on I try to say I'm deaf before I get into any conversation to begin with. In the past I automatically thought people would know I was deaf,and I don't know why I assumed that. There's no way people that don't know us will know we are deaf until we inform them. I have been deaf all my life, so sometimes I do actually forget to tell others I have a hearing problem, but not often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an interesting article about the deaf lady and I think that it is sad news about the car’s breakdown I think now she had to buy a new one.
    auto transport quotes , car shipping quotes , free auto transport quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for enjoying the article. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments: